Why You Should Remove Chlorine From Your Drinking Water

Why You Should Remove Chlorine From Your Drinking Water

Chlorine is used to disinfect water used for consumption to eliminate most waterborne diseases for many years. It is very effective in killing diseases and pathogens. Chlorine is used by most people because it is cheap and easy to monitor and control. It maintains a small amount of residual in water distribution that protects drinking water from bacteria growth. Chlorine is known as one of the best agents that can be used to disinfect water. Despite the fact that it is inexpensive and efficient, it has a couple of problems. Private users of wells may not use chlorine to purify water because they have choices to make on the type of disinfection. Most city water users use chlorine to disinfect water since they do not have other control measures.

[thrive_headline_focus title=”Harmful byproducts of chlorine” orientation=”left”]

When chlorine is used to disinfect water, it forms a compound bi-product called Trihalomethanes (THMs) when it combines with some of the organic matter found in water. Trihalomethanes are very toxic when inhaled, applied to the skin or consumed. In the recent past, research carried out on health effects of water containing chlorine show that there are a lot of toxicity issues involved. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has stated that there is sufficient supportive evidence of association that exists between long periods exposure to high levels of Trihalomethanes and bladder cancer.

Other health risks include rectal and colon cancers. In addition to that, the Environment Research Foundation has cited a good number of studies that link heavy to moderate consumption of water containing chlorine by pregnant women who end up having a miscarriage or high birth defect rates. Disinfecting water is important because it helps get rid of viruses and bacteria in water if other disinfection methods used do not produce toxic by-products.

[thrive_headline_focus title=”Human exposure to chlorine” orientation=”left”]

The most common problem people encounter with water treated using chlorine is that it leaves unpleasant taste and smell. Chlorine can also alter the taste of coffee, tea, water and other beverages. Chlorine may be inhaled in showers or ingested from drinking water. In most incidences, it makes the skin and hair feel dry after taking a shower. This problem lies in both bathing and drinking water. Bathing and showering in chlorinated water expose people to more chlorine than consuming the by-products contained in chlorinated water. While taking a shower, chlorine is absorbed through the skin while that which vaporizes in the shower is inhaled into lungs. In other words, it is quite clear that our day to day exposure to chlorine comes from showering. Chlorine poses a lot of problems throughout most of our water faucets meaning that it should be eliminated from the whole water source.

[thrive_headline_focus title=”Complete protection with Reverse Osmosis” orientation=”left”]

To ensure the provision of the safest drinking water, installation of a Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water system in the house is recommended. Reverse Osmosis involves a five-stage filter that removes 99% of contaminants in water. Three of the five filters are carbon filters that provide more protection with chlorine and two more that remove pesticides, heavy metals, and other contaminants that the house filter cannot remove. Carbon filters remove tastes, organic compounds and odor to water inlets in the house. Carbon filtration absorbs a proper amount of chlorine without leaving other adverse impacts on water.

Adsorption starts when water comes into contact with carbon filters. With a reverse osmosis system and a whole house filter, you will enjoy clean and quality drinking water as well as baths and showers free of chlorine. If you are looking for a method of treating water that eliminates chlorine completely, you now have no doubt settling for reverse osmosis systems.

Related Posts